We all know that sitting at work all day isn’t great for our health. It can lead to decreased health and exercise and higher blood pressure — along with decreased vein health. How active we are plays a large role in the health of our veins, and sitting at a desk all day simply isn’t cutting it.
As standing desks have become more and more popular in recent years, many people wonder if standing desks could be the solution for their varicose veins, spider veins, or overall vein health (along with cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and more). In today’s blog, we’re going to explore advantages and disadvantages of standing desks — along with tried-and-true methods for vein health at work. Read below to learn more, and be sure to contact The Vein and Laser Center of Northern Colorado today if you’re in need of a varicose veins treatment.
The Advantages Of Standing Desks
Though standing desks are still relatively new, there has been a lot of research done on their benefits:
- Lower risk of obesity, weight gain – By standing, you’ll burn more calories
- Lower blood sugar levels – Standing periodically throughout the day and after lunch reduces blood sugar
- Lower risk of heart disease – Standing is healthier for the heart
- Reduction of back pain – Sitting causes a lot of stress on our backs
- Improved mood, energy level – Sedentary time is linked with depression and anxiety
- Improved productivity – Improving mood improves productivity
- Increased lifespan – Sedentary time can lead to a shorter life expectancy
- Improved circulation – Standing increases blood flow
The Disadvantages Of Standing Desks
Most drawbacks to standing desks result from people standing too long and not taking breaks. These include:
- Pain, swelling, fatigue – Standing all day can lead to pain, especially if you’re not accustomed to it
- Back problems – Discs get compressed when you stand for too long
- Aggravate posture problems – If you already suffer from poor posture, standing all day can worsen this
- Decreased circulation – While standing can increase blood flow, standing for too long can lead to blood pooling in the legs and feet
5 Ways To Improve Circulation At Work
Now that you know some of the pros and cons of standing desks, what are some ways you can help your bulging veins or focus on varicose veins prevention?
- Stretch and flex legs regularly – Promote good circulation through small movements
- Wear medical compression socks – Prevent swelling and improve circulation
- Avoid high heels, constrictive clothing – Tight clothing and high heels decrease circulation
- Talk on the go – Talk on the phone while on a walk instead of at your desk
- Try a treadmill desk or standing desk – Standing desks aren’t bad if used in moderation
Schedule Your Varicose Veins Treatment Today
If you’re concerned about your varicose veins, then visit The Vein and Laser Center of Northern Colorado today. We offer a free initial screening to help you determine if a varicose veins treatment is right for you. Stop searching for how to get rid of varicose veins — standing desks may help, but you’ll need a vein doctor on your side. Schedule a varicose veins treatment today!